With the polar vortex swirling freezing air around, there are a few safety and sanity tips we’d like to share with you! Keep pets inside! This may seem obvious to some, but it bears repeating. While some dogs have thicker/double coats and are adapted to colder temperatures, these negative temperatures are too cold for all pets. Frost bite is possible on sensitive skin such as paw pads. Limit exposure to short bathroom breaks, and use protective wear such as booties, paw balms, and/or sweaters and coats. If you have pets that cannot be kept inside, make sure they have access to shelter and unfrozen water. Consider offering shelter in your garage or shed, or providing “nest boxes” for neighborhood strays. Leaving pets outside in extreme cold temperatures, especially without adequate shelter, can be construed as animal cruelty and may be cause for legal action. If you see a pet outside and are concerned, you can contact your local police for guidance. Wipe feet after walks outside-sidewalk salt can be irritating and may even be toxic. Use a warm, damp rag to wipe feet after walks outside to prevent your pet from licking these. Or invest in the aforementioned booties. Use pet safe salt on your own driveways and sidewalks if you are able. […]Learn More
Autumn has arrived, and the new season brings new risks to our pets. There are a couple of toxicities or risks for our pets as the weather turns cooler. Chrysanthemums or mums are toxic to our dogs and cats. Symptoms of ingestion can include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, decreased appetite, enlarged pupils, depression, and incoordination. Some pets are also sensitive to contact with the flower on their skin and may develop a rash, itch, or sores. Contact your veterinarian if your pet has ingested a mum and is showing symptoms. There are a variety of mushrooms popping up all over this time of year. Some are completely harmless and will not cause any issues. Others can cause some gastrointestinal tract irritation that may lead to vomiting and diarrhea. More toxic versions can cause hallucinations or liver or kidney failure. Because of the wide variety of mushrooms and the difficulty in identifying them, if your pet ingests a mushroom in your yard you should contact a veterinarian immediately. Hospitalization, inducing vomiting, activated charcoal, fluids, bloodwork, and sometimes even stomach lavage is needed to treat these pets. The sooner treatment begins the better the prognosis, but some mushroom ingestions can be fatal. Signs your dog may have ingested a mushroom can include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, […]Learn More
Heritage Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinarian clinic that provides examinations, diagnostic services, dental care, surgical services, medicine, grooming and boarding services in Maple Grove, Minnesota. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of pet care possible and facilitating an environment where client communication and education are at the forefront of our practice.
12624 Base Lake Road
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.