A new danger is presenting itself to our pets and it’s one that is not very obvious. Xylitol, a sugar alcohol found in many products, can be extremely toxic to our pets such as dogs and ferrets. It is a natural product, so it can be found in items that are listed as natural or organic, and may even be listed as a natural sweetener. Xylitol is not toxic to humans, but can cause severe and even fatal issues in our dogs. In quantities as low as 0.1 gram per kilogram of body weight (which is about 0.01 oz per pound), it can cause hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. This means that a 10 lb dog could eat as little as one mint or one piece of gum and show symptoms of hypoglycemia. Symptoms of this include staggering or “drunk” walking, drooling, appearing disoriented, weakness, collapsing, seizures, or even death. At doses of 0.5 gram per kilogram of body weight (roughly equal to 0.04 oz per pound), a more serious issue occurs-liver damage, which can lead to liver failure and death. Signs of liver damage can include changes in appetite, vomiting, jaundice or yellowing of the skin, eyes, and gums. Because it is non toxic to humans, it is often used in various […]Learn More
Summer heat makes you and your dog want to jump in the lake to cool off, but wait! Are there hidden dangers lurking there? Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, are microscopic bacteria found in freshwater lakes, ponds, streams, and swamps. They “bloom” in mid to late summer months, especially in nutrient rich water. Not all of these blooms are toxic, but without biochemical testing it is impossible to tell which are. The toxins produced by the blooms can cause a variety of signs, depending on which toxins that particular bacteria produce. It can cause liver disease, which may cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, blood in feces, black, tar-like stool, weakness, pale gums, jaundice (yellowing of gums, eyes, and skin), seizures, disorientation, confusion, coma, or shock. Death can occur in a matter of days due to liver failure. Some blue-green algae can produce even nastier toxins called anatoxins. These cause issues with the neurologic system, and signs can include increased tear production, increased salivation, muscle tremors, muscle rigidity, paralysis, difficulty breathing, and/or blue gums and tongue. Death can occur in minutes to hours after exposure to this toxin from blue-green algae. There is not a specific antidote to the toxins from blue-green algae, but immediate veterinary care is very important. Anti-seizure medication, oxygen, IV […]Learn More
Heritage Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinarian clinic that provides examinations, diagnostic services, dental care, surgical services, medicine, grooming and boarding services in Maple Grove, Minnesota. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of pet care possible and facilitating an environment where client communication and education are at the forefront of our practice.
12624 Base Lake Road
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.