For many years, if a pet ingested rat/mouse poison, the treatment was to induce vomiting, and then follow up with vitamin K. Sometimes activated charcoal or additional treatments were needed. Most cases, if caught early, were not fatal. The active ingredients in most of these rat poisons was a second generation anticoagulant. In 2008, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) passed a law prohibiting the use of long acting anti-coagulants (second generation anticoagulants) in homes. They passed this in effort to reduce secondarily poisoning wildlife. Most manufacturers became compliant with this in the years following, switching to active ingredients such as bromethalin, first generation anticoagulants (such as warfarin), and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). d-Con, a major manufacturer of rodenticides, argued with the EPA that bromethalin is a potent neurotoxin, and a ban on second generation anticoagulants would increase the risk of poisoning to children and pets. As predicted, many companies began using bromethalin as their active ingredient. Bromethalin causes cerebral edema (swelling of the brain), and has no antidote. The treatment is only supportive, often repeated doses of activated charcoal throughout 24 hours, and intensive care hospitalization if swelling develops. The drug remains in the system for a long time, so clinical signs may persist for weeks, and can even become permanent. In 2014, d-Con […]Learn More
Halloween is supposed to be a fun time for family, but can present some safety concerns for our furry friends. Follow the below tips to make sure your pets are safe this holiday season! Make sure all pets have identification on. Permanent identification such as a microchip is better than a collar, which could get lost. Keep wires and cords for lights and decorations safely out of reach. Carving pumpkins can be great fun, but skip the candles. Pets can be curious or accidentally knock over the pumpkins which could cause them to get burned or cause damage. On the subject of pumpkins, pumpkins and corn are not toxic, but ingesting them can lead to obstructions, so keep pets out of outdoor decorations. Candy such as chocolate or sugar free candies can be toxic to pets, so keep out of their reach. Outdoor cats should be kept inside for a few days before and after Halloween due to the high traffic. Indoor pets and pets in yard should be kept away from doors and gates which could be opened by visitors allowing them to get out and even lost. Unless you know your pet does very well with strange people, people in costumes, and other pets, it might be better for them to […]Learn More
Heritage Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinarian clinic that provides examinations, diagnostic services, dental care, surgical services, medicine, grooming and boarding services in Maple Grove, Minnesota. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of pet care possible and facilitating an environment where client communication and education are at the forefront of our practice.
12624 Base Lake Road
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.