The holidays are supposed to be a joyful time, and we here at Heritage Animal Hospital would like to help you keep it that way. There are a number of items that can be found this time of year that can be harmful to your pets. Items ranging from chocolate, alcohol, macadamia nuts, scented candles, tinsel and ribbons, antifreeze, and a number of plants can all pose threats to animals. If you feel your pet may have gotten into any of these items, or is showing any of the signs listed below, please contact a veterinarian immediately. Chocolate can be toxic to animals if it is eaten. Signs of ingestion can include vomiting and diarrhea, increased urination, increased activity, and racing heartbeat. Cookies and candies are a common source of chocolate, as are drinks such as hot cocoa. Alcohol is toxic to animals, usually in smaller amounts than people would think. Signs of intoxication include drowsiness, an ataxic walk (meaning un-coordinated, like a drunk person) and can progress to coma and respiratory rate depression, which can cause death. The signs of antifreeze ingestion mimic alcohol intoxication, and are rapidly fatal, so if your pet is showing these signs, please do not hesitate to contact us. Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Common in cookies […]Learn More
Heritage Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinarian clinic that provides examinations, diagnostic services, dental care, surgical services, medicine, grooming and boarding services in Maple Grove, Minnesota. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of pet care possible and facilitating an environment where client communication and education are at the forefront of our practice.
12624 Base Lake Road
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.