Summer heat makes you and your dog want to jump in the lake to cool off, but wait! Are there hidden dangers lurking there? Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, are microscopic bacteria found in freshwater lakes, ponds, streams, and swamps. They “bloom” in mid to late summer months, especially in nutrient rich water. Not all of these blooms are toxic, but without biochemical testing it is impossible to tell which are. The toxins produced by the blooms can cause a variety of signs, depending on which toxins that particular bacteria produce. It can cause liver disease, which may cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, blood in feces, black, tar-like stool, weakness, pale gums, jaundice (yellowing of gums, eyes, and skin), seizures, disorientation, confusion, coma, or shock. Death can occur in a matter of days due to liver failure. Some blue-green algae can produce even nastier toxins called anatoxins. These cause issues with the neurologic system, and signs can include increased tear production, increased salivation, muscle tremors, muscle rigidity, paralysis, difficulty breathing, and/or blue gums and tongue. Death can occur in minutes to hours after exposure to this toxin from blue-green algae. There is not a specific antidote to the toxins from blue-green algae, but immediate veterinary care is very important. Anti-seizure medication, oxygen, IV […]Learn More
As the rains fall, we look forward to the spring flowers that will soon be blooming. While their bright colors remind us of warmer days coming, they may pose a hazard to our pets. There are a number of toxic spring flowers that are common in our yards this time of year. These include things like daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, lily of the valley, rhododendrons, and azaleas. Daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths are part of the same family and contain a chemical which can cause drooling, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, increased heart rate, abdominal cramping, abnormal breathing, or cardiac arrhythmias (abnormal heart beats or rhythm). The bulb contains the highest concentration of this chemical, but all parts of the plant contain some, so if your pet has ingested a daffodil, tulip, or hyacinth veterinary attention should be sought. Rhododendrons and azaleas are also from the same family. These plants contain a chemical that is toxic to muscles in the body. This leads to clinical signs such as drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, irregular heart rate and beat, low blood pressure, weakness, tremors, and depression. In severe cases it can lead to blindness (usually temporary), seizures, and coma. Prognosis is generally good with treatment, so if you see your pet ingest one of these […]Learn More
Heritage Animal Hospital is a full-service veterinarian clinic that provides examinations, diagnostic services, dental care, surgical services, medicine, grooming and boarding services in Maple Grove, Minnesota. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of pet care possible and facilitating an environment where client communication and education are at the forefront of our practice.
12624 Base Lake Road
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sat: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.